I have been a Bowen Therapist for 10 years, and am always amazed how it works!
When I began my Bowen Therapy journey I knew there was something special about it and how it has the potential to help many people. I witnessed first hand the Power of Bowen Therapy.
3 weeks ago I received a phone call from a client who has been in debilitating lower back pain for about 4 months. It has prevented her from working; simple movements such as walking, sitting, standing, lifting, bending and general movement all aggravate her back. A CT scan in September showed right S1 sciatica due to a disc herniation in L5/S1, and surgery was advised. However, she wanted to see if her symptoms would improve before embarking on surgical treatment.
Consisted of the Basic Relaxation Moves (BRM) 1: moves 1-8. These moves not only aid in relaxation, but are used for lower back presentations.
During the 1st treatment my client felt sensations of:
- Pulsating (The whole upper leg was twitching)
- Left side of the body felt like it wanted to “collapse”
After a Bowen Session, the body can take 7-10 days for sensations to fully be integrated….
As a Bowen Therapist, I encourage clients to wait at least 5 days before seeing any other health professional (and vice versa) with good reason. A Bowen treatment may still work through the body for 7-10 days after the treatment.
- The day after her treatment she felt great – less pain and it was the FIRST time she has been able to fall asleep at night on her back without the horrible pain.
- 3 days later, her left gluteus maximus pulsated and right side of right foot pulsated.
My clients pain lessoned, and she was standing more upright.
Treatment consisted of BRM 1: moves 1-2
Sensations felt included:
- Strong ache
- Electrical pulses (one went from right foot to shoulder)
There was a lot of processing that occurred during the week including:
- Needing to sleep
- Tightness in hamstring in small waves then pins and needles
- Pulses in right glut and lower back (on both sides)
- Coldness then electrical surges
- In general most of the pins and needles and numbness have gone away. It used to be there constantly day and night. My right foot doesn’t feel as itchy & more like it has life in it now. Visually my foot looks likes the veins are pumped and working
Last night (6 days post treatment):
- Spasms and movement in right knee, then foot did what it did last treatment (as posted in video above) for approx 5 mins. I was very tired and had electrical pulses and cold shivering feeling afterward
- 10:30pm spasms starting in right buttock, to knee, foot and then thigh for 5 mins. Hip really sore and leg but no cold sensation.
- 11:00pm as above but with cold sensation.
The feeling of a “red hot tennis ball” subsided, and feels like it’s more in bones of hip and deep in hamstring. Pain lessoned from previous week (but occasionally spikes), and is standing straighter again.
Treatment consisted of BRM 1.
Sensations felt included:
- Heat (right buttock to ankle)
- Right hip feels like it wants to collapse
- Pain in hip
- Pressure right hip
- Left toes pulsed and feeling of left leg wanting to pulse
- Electrical current right leg
As we say in Bowen Therapy, LESS IS BEST or LESS IS MORE! My role is to act as the facilitator. I am a BIG believer that our bodies have the capacity to heal itself with minimal intervention. Everything in the body is connected, and we CANNOT separate one part from another.
Please note: This is my clients body’s way of releasing, it does not mean this happens to everyone.
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- 4 Important Questions to ask before having a Pregnancy Massage - April 27, 2018
- The Differences between Bowen Therapy & Remedial Massage - April 19, 2018
- Using Bowen Therapy to assist with Anxiety - February 15, 2018